Saturday, March 8, 2014

Limits of The Red Light Box



The red light box (i.e my Samsung point and shoot) accompanied me to Nigeria in December and while there I tried snap more than the typical touristy let's-do-the-same-pose-in-front-of-a-different-background photos...and that's why there's an image of an old beat-up passenger seat from a car (below)!  But really, who else finds the top two photos interesting?  Would I be the only one over-eagerly raising my hand?  The second one is so perfectly crisp, I think I could stare at it forever and just appreciate all that rubbish of a mechanic's junkyard as simplistic art.  Or I could just stare at it.  

The basic difference is the use of flash. Shutter speed became slightly faster with it on (but I'm not sure why).  I remember carefully activating the flash as I tried to keep the camera in the exact same mid-air position.  I wanted to see a clear effect of setting change.  And see it I did.
Notice the pain, the agony, of this seat
Background: Goodness, that day was bright and hotter than hot.  My uncle was taking me from Ajalli to Owerri but we stopped at this mechanic's to check out his car.  If it were just him, my uncle said, he'd travel with his car.  But since he was transporting his niece (and my momma was anxious about my safety from across the ocean) we stopped and ended up having a driver pick us up.  Nigeria and drivers....and they're not taxi drivers.  It seems you can (and often have to) get a driver to take you from A to B (if B is more than an hour or two away).  The roads are not so special.  But Nigeria was/is so special to me.
this dinky phone had (slow) Facebook access!
this land is your land

No comments:

Post a Comment